Skip to main content
What You Should Do
- Pay attention and follow all emergency alerts issued by Tulane.
- Move to the ground floor or basement of the building you are in. Do not use elevators to descend to the ground floor or basement.
- If you are outside, seek shelter in the nearest building.
- Move as close to the center of the building as possible.
- Stay away from windows and doors with glass panes.
- Sit or crouch in an inner hallway or room.
- Do not leave your safe position until the "all clear" is given by emergency personnel or via the emergency alert system.
- Report any injuries or building damage immediately to Tulane Police. Tulane Police Emergency Numbers are:
- Tulane National Primate Center Police emergency: 985-871-6411
- Tulane Downtown Campus Police emergency: 504-988-5555
- Tulane Uptown Campus Police emergency: 504-865-5200, or pick-up the nearest emergency blue-light phone.
- Other Campuses: Call 911
- After the tornado, areas of campus may be damaged or contain large amounts of debris. Follow all instructions from emergency personnel or the emergency alert system to avoid such areas.
What Will Happen
- Prior to the tornado, the Tulane emergency alert system will be activated with information & instructions.
- TUPD and/or Facilities Services will broadcast instructions over public address systems as time allows.
- Tulane emergency personnel will monitor the situation with weather services and local authorities.
- Once the threat has passed, TUPD and Tulane Facilities Services will inspect the campus for damage, respond to injuries, and give the “all clear” when conditions are safe.